Degree Type:Master of Philosophy
Department:Department of Animal Science
Modes of Study:Regular
A candidate seeking admission to the MPhil Animal Science (Management of Livestock Enterprises) degree programme must:
- Have obtained a good first degree (at least a Second Class) in Agriculture, or related subject area with substantial animal production content, from a recognized tertiary institution.
- Submit an official transcript of academic record.
- Submit at least three reference reports, one of which must be from a former lecturer.
- Submit a proposal of 3-5 pages of intended area of study including a working bibliography.
- Pass a selection interview
- acquire solid grounding in scientific/technical principles necessary for successful careers in teaching, research, extension and management of livestock enterprises
- obtain requisite knowledge and skills to effectively deal with existing and emerging challenges of the livestock sub-sector
- deepen students’ appreciation of current market/consumer demands and food standards, and how these impact on production principles for local and world markets
- develop strong leadership, interpersonal, team-building and entrepreneurial skills needed to identify and utilize opportunities, as well as deal with emerging threats.